Posted in Sewing

Achievement Unlocked: Free Motion Quilting

January 10, 2014 - 7:55 am

So the ironing board cover is complete (photos before the elastic was inserted): 

_MG_1463.jpg

Here’s another picture: 

_MG_1459.jpg

For those who are watching the tiny space I live and work in, that’s the poodle pup’s crate behind the ironing board, with the fleece drying rack on top, and the kitchen counter behind that. My sewing table with the Rocketeer is to the right. I should do a layout diagram; not sure if that would be fun or depressing.

Not sure if I mentioned, but the cover was made from a $.99 flat king sized sheet I bought at Goodwill, and a crib sized wool quilt batt I bought to see how I liked the brand. Jury’s still out on the latter; it compressed a LOT when pressed, and doesn’t seem to be recovering. I wanted to use wool on the board, though, because wool can absorb 30-50% of its weight (depending on breed and processing) without feeling wet. That seems like a good property for an ironing board cover.

I’m also planning on making a laser cut 3mm plywood backing between the cover and the wire mesh surface of the “board” frame. Because I find it inexplicable why anyone would want a vented ironing board. The whole point is to build up steam and heat …. Right?

Anyhoo! Here are some quilt in process pics.

First (after the quilting) I tacked the edges of the top and backing together all the way around. I used a zig-zaggy stitch that goes three stitches left and then three stitches right, which is my favorite edging stitch for stability. I find it holds better than a simple zigzag, and doesn’t pucker the way zig zagged edges do, so it doesn’t cause a lump in the finished product. I went around once in the top side, and then a second time from the bottom, making sure I tacked the edges of both surfaces all the way around. This photo is from the end of the edging stitching, so you can see both passes, and how nice and flat the fabric is:

IMG_0878.jpg

I got the brilliant idea of using the top edge of the sheet as the elastic channel. The channel is in three pieces, one for each long side and one for the back edge, with openings at the corners. This makes it much easier to thread the elastic.

The top edge wasn’t long enough so I had to try to duplicate it, and I had to open up and re-hem the edges of the tube, and blah blah blah. For the underside of an ironing board cover, which NO ONE will ever see. This probably added two hours to the project time. Would have been better to just cut 8” strips to length, hem the short edges, fold them in half, and been done with it. I got caught up in being clever. If you ever see the board in person please look at the underside and appreciate the pointless waste of time. :-)

Next I cut the front lip for the cover, which is the only part that isn’t channeled for elastic. This pic shows me laying out the front edge of the cover and tracing on part of the sheet edge, which was not what I actually cut for this piece. I ended up using two thicknesses of sheet with one of the original hemmed edges creating the finish.

IMG_0875.jpg

Then I tacked the front lip and the channels together, making a generous estimate of the right length for the channel. Too short would have been problematic, but 2” too long just means there was a little pleat at the back end of the board. 

I sewed the curved front lip first using a 1/2” seam allowance, then continued down one side to the corner, tested fit, and sewed from the front edge around the back to meet the first seam, placing the pleat sort of in the middle of the back. Here’s the stitched up backside:

_MG_1455.jpg

detail pic, with evidence of blood sacrifice made to the project: 

_MG_1457.jpg

detail pic of the front edge. Doesn’t that channel look FANTASTIC?: 

_MG_1458.jpg

Another detail pic of the edge, clearly showing the sacrifice as well: 

_MG_1456.jpg

I washed off the puppy’s muddy footprints, but I’m leaving the blood stain. :-)

It’s finished and on the board, but still not dawn here yet so I don’t have enough light for a proper photo. Later, I promise.

I’m getting up to get ready for driving my sweetie to work so I can have the car to go visit Richard of TreadleOn. David is bringing up the base from the basement RIGHT NOW. gotta run!

Recent Posts

Tile is Hard!

I had hoped to be done with the bathroom tiling but, well, I ended up going on two Epic Quests ...

Read More

Adventures in Home Ownership!!

So this post is a departure from the knitting I wrote about last week. I enjoyed daily blogging, but knitting ...

Read More

Using My Beading Tool

This will be the last post in the Viburnum series, and it's about the tool I use to bead lace. Shortly ...

Read More

Making Lace

The third Viburnum sample in Knitty was the lace weight one. It’s an interesting “coming full circle,” since the piece ...

Read More

Viburnum becomes a pattern

Shortly after I completed David’s neck warmer, mentioned in the last post, I got an email from Knitty about submissions ...

Read More

Comments

Deborah Robson

January 10, 2014 7:55 am

I come from a long line of people who paint the bottoms of shelves and the backs of pieces of furniture that will never be anywhere except against a wall. I would be happy to admire the underside of your ironing board cover.

What a seriously cool project, throughout! Love the use of the sheet hems.

Leave Comment

%d bloggers like this: