Posted in Adventures in Home Ownership!!

For Want of a Nail

December 16, 2014 - 1:50 pm

The studio is coming together beautifully, but is very much mid-process. I’ve got “before” pics stored up and will post those along with the “afters” when I get it all together. Notably, three of the four bays in the garage have lights!! This is huge.

I had plans to continue working on the organization this morning, and started by putting things away. When I went to put my tack hammer on the pegboard the pegs fell off. So I opened the drawer containing all the tape, and the bottom fell out. The picture below is after I cleared everything out and popped the fiberboard drawer bottom back into the side slots. But the back rail and the bottom are too warped to get them to play nice again. 

_MG_2526.jpg

Yes, it’s another one of that sort of days. But never fear, I fixed it! 

I laid out the tools I thought I was going to use, and acquired a kitten helper:

_MG_2533.jpg

My basic premise was to attach eyebolts at the back center and front sides, put a strong zip-tie through the back center eyebolt, lace a cord from a front eyebolt through the zip-tie loop and attach it to the other front eyebolt, then tighten the zip-tie to tension the whole thing.

The cord would help support the drawer bottom directly, and any extra weight in the drawer would increase the tension pulling the back rail forward, helping the drawer bottom stay in its groove. Perfect!

I didn’t have eyebolts, only hooks, but pliers made short work of closing them up:

_MG_2540.jpg

I drilled a hole in the center back and used a screwdriver to help drive the eyebolt home:

_MG_2545.jpg

Drilled the holes in the front for the forward eyebolts:

_MG_2550.jpg

And then had a realization. The drawer won’t close if I have a bolt there. Derp.

Rethinking, I noticed Ikea had given me an attachment point you can see at the front of the drawer there, which was easy enough to lace a cord through:

_MG_2554.jpg

But they hadn’t given me a matching one on the other side for some reason. So I figured out I could create enough space with a putty knife to slip the cord under the rail entirely:

_MG_2555.jpg

But of course the drawer still wouldn’t close.  Grrrrr.

Not to be dissuaded I realized I could use my staple gun:

_MG_2560.jpg

and staple the cord down in a way that wouldn’t interfere with the drawer. Success!

_MG_2563.jpg

All that remained was to tighten the zip tie:

_MG_2559.jpg

Restore the drawer to its slot and refill it with stuff:

_MG_2575.jpg

And FINALLY tape up that pesky tack hammer that started it all:

_MG_2570.jpg

In the meantime I found the errant plumbers putty that has been delaying the repair of our leaky kitchen sink basin. No more!!

_MG_2572.jpg

Tune in later for the next installment of Adventures in Home Ownership!! 

Recent Posts

Accidental Chickens!!

So… The weekend had a big surprise. In a word, CHICKENS!!I am part of the local Buy Nothing group on Facebook, ...

Read More

Give Big! join me in helping the Seattle Somali Center

  Today, 5/5, is the Seattle Foundation’s Give Big! day, on which they encourage folks to donate to local non-profits to help out with ...

Read More

Fire Thief KAL!!

Fire Thief is getting popular on Ravelry again. I was so afraid I had muffed it when it went viral ...

Read More

Fire Thief Release Party!

It’s alive!!!I have so much to say about the process of designing, testing, revising, and releasing this pattern. It’s been ...

Read More

Shaping Success!

First the triumphant photo:That right there is my GINORMOUS swatch for Fire Thief, using all the charts, but only working ...

Read More

Leave Comment

%d bloggers like this: